Tuesday, February 26, 2013

Project 351 -- Hannah McCarthy


PROJECT 351

At the School Committee Meeting on February 14, Hannah McCarthy spoke about her experience at Project 351 for the Commonwealth.

In her description that night and below, she mentioned what she did and what Project 351 is all about.  

Hannah was chosen as the John T. Nichols Middle School representative by a vote of the whole faculty.  I don't think we could have sent a better person to represent us.  I thank her for her involvement and hope, if you see her, that you will as well.

Here is what Hannah said to the School Committee:

"Hello, I am Hannah McCarthy, an eighth grade student at NMS. Thank you for inviting me here.

In 2010, Governor Devalue Patrick founded Project 351. This is an organization dedicated to instilling qualities distinctive to volunteers in eight grade students across the commonwealth. This project unites students under the common goal of serving the community. Each town is invited to participate in the project, by designating one eight grader to become an Ambassador. This year I was lucky enough to represent Middleborough, as their Ambassador.

January 26, began for me before dawn, but I was bursting with excitement. By only nine o'clock, the State House’s gold rotunda loomed before. My journey began here. Inside the State House, the governor commenced the day's activities with a speech honoring Martin Luther King, Jr. During this motivational speech, Governor Patrick reflected on his own goals. His past struggles had also been addressed, helping us recognize the many opportunities that lay before us. And with a lingering sense of empowerment, 351 students were herded into buses, unaware of the experiences ahead. 

I spent a fraction of my day at Hennigan Elementary School, in Jamaica Plain. This school hosted 400 young students, each room painted in fluorescent hues. Together, we worked to improve the school’s English department by creating 300 literary packets. A total of three murals depicting urban scenes were also created. Governor Patrick and Patriots player, Nate Solder entertained questions as we worked, only boosting the morale of my group. As the sun hung low in the sky, the school was transformed into a positive and educational environment.

A short bus ride then brought us to the State House, a hub of ecstasy. As a family, we shared a meal discussing our experiences. Some students had visited Cradles to Crayons and the Pine Street Inn. But no matter our location, an impact was made. The long day had finally ended, and extensive goodbyes were exchanged. As we said farewell to our now closest friends, an understanding was made. It was a silent pact vowing that this day would never be forgotten, and that our friendship would survive the distance.

Project 351 has permanently changed me. This change warrants a thank you to Mr. Geoghegan and my teachers in regards to my nomination. I would also like to thank Dr.Weiss and you, as the school committee, for this opportunity. Project 351 will forever live within me; it is a spirit never dying. Thank you."

Thank you, again, to Hannah for her spirit and wonderful way of expressing her experience.  I am sure this is not the last time we hear from her.