Monday, November 10, 2014

Parent-Teacher/Student-Led Conferences Night#2 Highlights


Parent-Teacher and Student-Led Conferences from November 5

Last Wednesday late afternoon/early evening at our second round of our Parent-Teacher Conferences, we again packed the building with parents and students.

Parents came in to check on their students' progress and also for a chance to put a face to a name for many of our teachers.

It is an excellent evening, but again, it is not perfect.  I hope, though, that parents were able to receive the information they were looking for, be it positive or not, information they could use to help their child improve in their academics. 

Since last Spring, we have piloted Student-Led Conferences, and again, some of our 6th Grade ELA 1 and ELA 2 Teachers engaged in this educational foray with their students during the Fall Conferences.

Students led their parents in discussions about their own learning and how they have grown as learners.  It is an awesome experience for the students and also for their parents. 

I want to attach some of the comments the parents made about their experience, which they wrote in their reflections on the Student-Led Conferences (thank you, Ms. Borges).  

I have also attached some of the pictures of the evening.

Thank you to everyone who makes this night such a sensational success, especially our teachers, who put in all this extra time to communicate with you.  Thank you.


SLC Parent Feedback

"I liked the one on one time with my daughter."

"She doesn’t always tell me about school, now she shared."

"I was able to listen to my son explain to us what he is learning."

"Thank you. He is enjoying reading and writing!"

"Ownership of learning was evident."

"My child had an understanding of expectations."

"Clarity of assignments was greatly appreciated."

"It gives me great opportunity to hear what is going on in class."

"Self scoring is a great idea, so is Habits of Work, they gain responsibility of themselves."

"He showed me strength and weaknesses of his learning."

"It was nice to see his writing evolving through his notebook."

"I like to see what my daughter was learning through her perspective."