Wednesday, February 10, 2016

#APrincipalsDay, February 9, 2016



Storify of #APrincipalsDay

On Tuesday, February 9, 2016, EducationWeek asked principals across the country to take pictures and Tweet (through Twitter) their pictures of their day with the hashtag #APrincipalsDay, as they (and I) had done the year before on January 7, 2015.

As the day went on, I tried to tweet out as many of my experiences as I could put in pictures and tweets.

The day, though, was a little bit different than my typical day, so unlike last January, I had some very different experiences.  

I did wake up at 5:01 AM, as I typically do.  Got dressed and ready to go to school.

Then got outside to shovel my driveway, as we had had two snow days prior to Tuesday.

I did though get on the road and have a safe ride to Middleborough, arriving around my typical 6:30 AM.

My day proceeded as normal, answering emails, tweeting announcements, greeting students as they entered, to then get myself into some classes for observing.




I then headed to Malden to the Department of Elementary and Secondary Education (DESE) for I had been selected as a Principal to represent a guiding committee for the new MCAS2.0 assessment when it comes out next spring.

After that meeting, I was able to sneak in a few quick class observations, answer some emails, make some calls, to then drive home, shovel some more, answer some more emails, help my own son with his homework, and then get ready to run a Twitter chat, called #MSSAAchat for Massachusetts Secondary Schools' Principals and Assistant Principals on Best Practices as Administrators, which I run every second Tuesday of each month.

I finished the chat around 9:20 PM, to then kiss my boys good night, and take a breath.

I am not telling you this to feel bad for me.  I am telling you because the tweets make a nice little story that I used this online software, Storify, to create a little slideshow of.

Being a principal isn't the easiest job in the world, and it most certainly is not the most difficult.  Many people were outside working in the snow and cold temperatures yesterday (and everyday).  So again, I am not posting this to have anyone feel sorry for me; I am just wanting to give you a small glimpse of the life of a principal for one day, #APrincipalsDay, on Tuesday, February 9.

I hope you enjoy it.