Sunday, October 29, 2017

2017 Grade 8 Apollos Field Trip Visit to BSU



8th Grade Apollos Team Field Trip to Bridgewater State University
"Expect More. Achieve More."

Our second year of Expecting More and Achieving More with our Field Trips to BSU.

On Monday, October 23, 2017, our eighth grade Comets team visited Bridgewater State University (as our 8th Grade Comets team did on Thursday, October 19).  It was the brainchild of Ms. Tricia Flaherty, Ms. Cathy Kubek, and Ms. Nichole Flounders as we are into the fourth year of reading the nonfiction book, We Beat the Street about the three doctors and their struggle to make it from humble beginnings to live out their dreams and become doctors.


In the story, these doctors never keep their eyes off the prize of working hard, achieving all they want, working their way through school and college including medical school to do what some might have thought as impossible as they earn their degrees as doctors.

When discussing college with our eighth graders, Ms. Flaherty and Ms. Kubek noticed that not many of our students had ever been on a college campus, and so a field trip was planned starting last school year in 2016.  Students get to walk around campus for a tour as if they would be in-coming freshmen.


What a sensational day of learning in action.

Thank you so much to all the faculty and staff who went on this trip as well as all the parent volunteer-chaperones.  Thank you to our NMS PTA who helped keep the price down for students by supplementing the transportation costs.  Thank you.

Please check out some of the pictures from the day as well as the students' own reflections on going on the tour and how they were influenced, inspired, and invigorated.

Here are some highlights with more full reflections from Ms. Flaherty's class below:
 
“What inspired me the most about going to college is that you get to choose your own classes, therefore you wouldn't get stuck being in a class that doesn't interest you.” (Madisyn)

“The visit to Bridgewater State University was useful to help know what college is about completely. The living space is very comfortable, and one roommate isn't bad.  It would be nice to walk around campus whenever you like, and I don't think I could even imagine having a free apartment-like home.” (Kalen)

“I was also intrigued by how much freedom you had in college compared to middle school. What inspired me was all the students working hard in classes.” (Dylan)

“I haven’t put much thought into what I want to do when I graduate high school. Well, obviously I want to and will go to college, but I’m not sure what kind of classes I want to take or what I want to get into. This trip makes me think about all of the different things I could be doing when I’m older, and how creative I can be with my life.” (Amber)







Bridgewater State University
Dylan Y.

What I liked about going to BSU was seeing all the buildings and eating at the dining hall. What intrigued me was all the different clubs you could choose. I was also intrigued by how much freedom you had in college compared to middle school. What inspired me was all the students working hard in their classes. I see myself majoring in math or something science-related when I graduate high school






Bridgewater State University
Amber P.

When I first heard about the field trip to BSU, I was pretty excited. I have only toured  a college once, and it was BSU, but it was a long time ago. Since then, I’ve wanted to do it again. I really liked how everything was set up, like the different buildings. Something that inspired me was our tour guide. She talked about all of the different things you could get into and the things she did and how enjoyable everything is. I haven’t put much thought into what I want to do when I graduate highschool. Well, obviously I want to and will go to college, but I’m not sure what kind of classes I want to take or what I want to get into. The college is huge, which just makes me think about all of the different things I could be doing when I’m older, and how creative I can be with my life. Overall, I really enjoyed the trip, and it definitely gave me a better understanding of what college life is like.


       



               
BSU Field Trip
Makenzie W.
During the trip I really liked the fact that you can choose your classes. This was my favorite part because it helps you manage your time to how you need it. It makes it so that not everyone is so crowded and doing what you're doing. It inspired me because of how enthusiastic and friendly everyone was. It makes me want to go into a college like theirs when I get out of high school. So when I graduate high school I picture myself going to college and getting a job. I hope that this will happen so it will make successful and this field trip helped me picture being successful. 








BSU Trip
Olivia R.

College. College is a very hard and well thought out topic. Getting to visit BSU really opened my eyes to options of colleges. At BSU I got to see different things like the cafeteria, the game room, some different classes, and studying areas.  What intrigued me was that you could get tutored by other students or even professors in a topic you are struggling in. Personally, when I graduate, I see myself getting to go to the college that is perfect for me. I see myself using their amenities and doing as many activities as I can. I really enjoyed how large the campus was and how many activities and clubs there are to join. I was personally intrigued by everything.